Monday, October 21, 2013

Diversity

We hear a lot about diversity these days.  It is usually along the lines of - we're all different and we need to accept and love those differences, 'cause we're all in this together.  This blog is not about that kind of diversity.

What I'm talking about is the "thank goodness we're all different!" kind of diversity.  I have a friend who loves to read horror novels - think Edgar Allan Poe or Stephen King.  That's not my favorite genre.  I like literary classics or a good mystery.  (And yet, she and I were able to swap short stories we had written to critique each other's work.)

As I write, and wonder what readers want, I am grateful for all the genres out there.  I know not everyone is going to want to read my book, but I have hope that, because of our diversity, there will be some who will.  And my book crosses many genres - think mystery, romance, chick lit and you're getting warm - so hopefully, there will be a wide audience out there for it.

On the other side of things, I'm also thankful for all of the different books I can read.  I do have my favorite type of books, but I like to mix it up from time to time as well.  Fantasy isn't my first choice, but a good fantasy novel from time to time is fun.  And despite what I said earlier, Edgar Allan Poe can intrigue me at the right time.

It is a wonderfully diverse world, and much of it is positive.  Thank goodness for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment