Monday, October 22, 2012

Embrace the Unexpected

I arrived early at the library today intent on securing "my" spot.  (I'm not quite ready to deal with too much change as per my previous post.)  I determined on approach that I was successful; it was vacant!  Or so it seemed.  When I reached my actual chair I was alarmed to spot a very large wasp on the back of the adjacent seat!  Moment of decision - find some place else or deal with the large pest.

Desire is a powerful thing.  I really, really wanted to sit in my spot.  So, armed with a newly checked out The Brothers Karamazov, I raised my arm and took aim.  I knew injuring the wasp, thus making it "mad as a hornet" would not be a good idea.  Death was my only goal.  (May my children forgive me when they read this.)  Like "mighty Casey" I took a huge swing.  To my relief, I didn't strike out.  However, I realized I should have picked a book without a cloth cover, but a little too late for that.  I can just imagine the stories future readers of that particular volume will conjure up . . .

You know, I don't suppose that in our personal lives we always appreciate the unexpected.  But I imagine it's the stuff writers dream about.


No comments:

Post a Comment