Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Writers Never Sleep

I'm beginning to believe that writers never really sleep.  I used to think that it was mothers that never slept, but this is different.   I find myself turning over in the night with just enough cognitive awareness to form a thought and then two.  Soon those thoughts are all about what to write or how to write something or maybe even a new topic or plot I'd like to explore.  It's hard to return to sleep because I want to follow my thoughts; I want to see where they lead me.  And that's just in the middle of the night.

When I'm falling asleep I start rehearsing whole conversations, scenes or plot twists.  I imagine what I will write first the next day.  I may be tired but I resist sleep as I don't want to stop the flow of my imagination.  But soon I force myself to set my characters or "adventures" aside, for only in the surrendering to sleep will the new day come (with any chance at productively, that is).

I think, however, that "writers never sleep" means more to me than the disruption of physical sleep.  It means that writers are always writing.  For instance, we are writing as we drive down the highway, either with our thoughts or observations - sights or experiences that will tunnel their way into our brain so that at some appropriate time later they can resurface and see daylight on our written page.

Imagine for instance the woman I met today.  I was helping with our local schools' PTA consignment sale.  It started today.  People are dropping off their items today by the literal truck load!  It's our job as volunteers to sort it and place it in it's proper place.  As a perk, we volunteers can shop today before the general public.  As I was sorting some clothing a woman started to help me.  I noticed that she had not picked up her volunteer name tag, but didn't think too much of that.  About an hour later she told me she was from a few towns over and had just come to shop for her grand kids.  But someone told her that only helpers could shop today, so, she started helping!  When my shift ended after three hours, she was still helping!  What an interesting lady.  I'll have to remember her for another time . . .

And with that thought, good night and sweet dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment