Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Life Experiences

There is no substitute for experience.  This is not a new concept, but one that has illustrated itself to me lately.  I was recently teaching a class and the discussion went in an unexpected, but good, direction.  As I led the discussion I was able to draw from my life experiences to illustrate points and focus the energy in the room.

As I have thought of experience in terms of being a writer I have first realized that some of the interesting challenges I have experienced in my life give me good material to work with.  It is easy to write about what you understand, what you have lived.

The second thing that has come to mind regarding this is actually the opposite.  How do you write about something you haven't experienced?  I am always surprised when an author writes a character in first person that is the opposite sex of him or herself.  How can a man write a woman? How could I as a woman write a man?  Or how do you write about the death of a spouse when your spouse is alive and well?  The questions could go on and on.

I suppose there are many possible answers - you research, you draw on similar emotions and elaborate, you read, etc.  There may be several different roads that will lead you to the same place. I guess in the end this is the  mark of a good writer, one who can transform you and make you feel like you could be this person, you can see what they see and feel what they feel, even if you have never felt that way before.

There are popular, best selling books that are not viewed as great literature.  But why then do they make so much money?  I believe it is this transformation, making you feel and live through or for the characters that brings you back for more.  I know I for one would be content to have my books  panned if I could make others feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment