Wednesday, February 27, 2013

One Year Later

I must depart from my typical blogs.  Today is the one year anniversary of the shooting at Chardon High School here in Ohio.  I have been a casual observer of some of the students and the community at large.  What I have seen has been amazing and surprising.

A year ago, as a Project Linus coordinator (we give new, handmade blankets to children who are ill or traumatized), I took blankets to the students at Chardon High School.  Over a thousand teens received blankets, and they were thrilled and touched.  What happened next was more impressive.  We handed out blankets on a Friday, on Tuesday I received an email from a group of students and a teacher.  They wanted to make blankets to give to others.

Since that day they have made hundreds of blankets.  Students from the middle school and members of the surrounding communities have also made blankets for Project Linus.

Move forward to today.  To commemorate the anniversary the school is holding a service day.  Yes, to remember a most horrific day, they are not focusing on themselves but on others!  They are making leashes for the therapy dogs that have visited their school, they are writing and making art work.  And they have materials to make 600 blankets for Project Linus!!  600!!

If this is what our rising generation is all about, I have no worries for the future.  Unfortunately, not all teens are of this caliber or are as "other" focused.  I am an observer of that group of teens as well.

I am truly sorry this tragedy occurred.  I would not wish it on anyone or anyone's children or anyone's friends, neighbors, or even mild acquaintances.  But since it did happen, I am so grateful for these teens, and I'm sure their families who taught them to be this way.  I am grateful for the example they set for all of us, for the message that rings forth: Do not focus on yourself and your own troubles; reach out to lift and serve others.  In this way you will lift yourself.

May our country learn this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment