Monday, February 10, 2014

Writing, writing and more writing

I was just talking with a group of teenagers yesterday about learning and how their own desire to learn plays a role in that.  It seems like an obvious connection, but we aren't always logical.

Have you ever felt like you wanted to "have" a certain amount of knowledge, but you didn't actually want to "gain" it?  In other words, you just wanted it plopped into your brain like in the movie The Matrix, without any effort on your part.  I must admit that thought has certain appeal.  But the reality of it is that the journey is important to the learning, and it can also be a lot of fun.

I started out writing with a goal of being a novelist.  I haven't deviated from that goal, but I have augmented it.  I'm now writing for two different monthly magazines, and I have my own column in one of them.  It is non-fiction writing, and at first I thought it unnecessary to my goal.  But writing, any writing, helps me hone my craft.  The journey has become as important as the goal.

And one last thought - when I love writing so much, what's not to love about writing more?

No comments:

Post a Comment