Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to ...

I admit I was in a hurry this morning.  It's one of those days where I move from thing to thing throughout most of the day, and I was already late to help in my 6-year-old's classroom.   So, in this rush, even though my hair was still damp, I was trying to curl my bangs.  As I did so, I kept smelling some sweet, spicy smell like cinnamon or cloves.  I asked my husband if he had just sprayed some air freshener.  "No."  What could it be?

As I finished with my curling iron, I looked at it a little more closely.  It seemed to have streaks around it.  With realization dawning I understood what had happened.  That 6-year-old of mine loves our orange clove scented pump bottle of soap.  It is positioned very close, too close, to where my curling iron sits.  At some point soap must have dripped onto my curling iron.  When I plugged it in to heat up, it worked just like an incense burner in spreading that scent around.  Fine up to that point, but now I have clove scented bangs!  They're also just a little stiff.

What does any of this have to do with writing?  I haven't the foggiest!  But maybe it's the little moments that really have no lasting significance that make writing real and genuine.  Maybe I need to not be in so much of a hurry writing my "story" that I forget to make my people real, to make my tale seem true to life and believable.  Although, who would believe I would spend the day with clove scented soap in my hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment