Friday, December 7, 2012

It's always one more thing . . .

Two days ago, the last time I blogged, I finished writing my book (except for the Appendix, which I'm working on today).  My daughter commented, "I'll bet that felt good."  Actually it felt like nothing.

I'm kind of surprised.  How am I supposed to feel?  Satisfied?  I think I will feel satisfied when it has been accepted by a publisher.  And maybe if it were a novel instead of a memoir/parenting book I would feel the sense of completion, of things being wrapped up.

What I really feel is a sense of, "Okay, what's next?"  I still have my set writing time, so I haven't freed up time just because I'm done.  I am now needing to decide which story idea to run with, what will be next on my writing agenda.  It's not a bad feeling.  I think I'm actually excited about starting the next project, with no real excitement about finishing this last one.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my book.  I even like it.  But I am driven to write.  I will not be satisfied with one book, one short story, one article.  There will always need to be one more thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment