Monday, January 7, 2013

Footsteps Up A Wall

In the center of town a large building looms, its massive side visible to the main street.  As I drove past this morning the snow on its side stood out to me.  Now, snow is not unusual where I live, but it's what was in the snow that caught my eye: footprints, human footprints, in the snow, going up the side of the building!

There are a myriad of possibilities here.  First, some prank.  But if this is the case, much planning would have been involved, because the footprints are not near the ground, rather they are about 20 feet up.  Possible, definitely; likely that someone would go to that much trouble, doubtful.

What about some elaborate plot at robbery?  The building is a store, after all.  Hmm, but for reasons known to me, not even remotely likely.

Spiderman?  Even less likely.

Now, if I were writing a sci-fi book, anything I think of would be possible.  Limits in this genre are only created by the lacks of my imagination.

So, let me set your mind at rest.  I'm pretty sure I know the solution to this mystery.  For starters, the building is a grocery store under construction.  (Hence the robbery of a shell of a store highly unlikely.)  Any thoughts yet?  Also, the walls were recently erected.  Got it now?

I believe that the wall segments were laying on the ground.  Snow fell; workers walked on the wall pieces.  Then later, those pieces were placed into their vertical positions, complete with snow and footprints.

Maybe the reality is not as exciting as the imagined, but isn't that why we have fiction books in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment