Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Where do ideas come from?

As I've mentioned, I'm starting work on a new novel (a novel novel).  It's fun, but nerve racking as well.  Have I got a complex enough plot?  Can I convey the emotional turmoil the way I envision it?  Is the idea a good one?

I've also been reading books about writing novels during this thought process.  So, I've been thinking a lot about where ideas come from.  The idea for my book came from thinking about what I would want to read in a novel.  How would I want it to make me feel?  Then based on that, I created a story filled with those emotions.

But, yesterday, in a notebook I came across a story idea I recently jotted down.  It was quite complex and rather intriguing.  I was glad I had written it down, since I had all but forgotten about it.  I was still finishing my other book at the time, and just wrote notes for future use.  There are a couple of glaring holes in the story idea that would need to be overcome, but since they are more logistical than anything else I'm confident they can be dealt with.  So, where did this idea come from?  A vivid dream I had one night.  I don't usually remember many details in my dreams, but this one I remembered quite clearly and wrote it down while it was fresh.  Since it was a dream, it's easy to understand the leaps in logic, but they are small matters.  Who knew?

My only questions now is which book to write first.


No comments:

Post a Comment