Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What's in a word?

I live in a small town, I imagine similar to other small towns around the country.   We are ordinary in many ways.  We are, on average, not poor, but also not wealthy.  We are a community focused on our kids and their education.   We don't put on airs, and I think most people like it here.  At least I didn't think we put on airs.

Martin Luther King's birthday is coming up, and as it's a holiday, certain city services will be disrupted.  One of these is garbage pick up.  So, in the neighborhoods which usually have Monday service, a sign has been posted at all of the street exits.  It says, "Monday's rubbish will be collected on Tuesday."

Rubbish?  Really?  I would expect the word "garbage" or "trash," but not "rubbish!"  Do you ever use that word in conversation?  "John, will you be a dear, and take out the rubbish?"  Maybe I should watch Downton Abbey to see if they use the word.  Maybe I'm just not up on my local dialect.  Or maybe the city services department is a little full of themselves.

I'm not sure what the real reason is behind using "rubbish," but is does make one wonder about the words we use.  If I used "rubbish" in actual conversation, I'm sure I would get several strange looks or comments.  I might be seen as snooty even.

Hmmm . . . I wonder what words my characters will use to telegraph who they are or who they wish to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment