Friday, March 29, 2013

It's a tough job, but ...

I've been writing a number of magazine articles lately.  It's been interesting and varied.  They have been for a local magazine, so the topics all relate to my hometown.  But, even in a small town, there are plenty of topics to explore.

I must say, though, that my latest assignment, for the June issue, is a real chore.  (Wink! Wink!)  My editor asked for ideas that related to summer, and my first thought was the local ice cream store.  I interviewed the owner the other morning at 10 am.  He offered me ice cream.  I declined because of the hour.

Back home later, my teenage son rolled his eyes at me when I related this, thinking me the fool.  He then responded, "Rookie mistake."  I did, however, bring home a complimentary pint of double chocolate chunk ice cream to share.  Might I take a moment here to say it was DELICIOUS and didn't last long.

The funny thing is I had to nearly bribe my six-year-old to even try the ice cream!  I suggested he just try a little taste, and what do you know, he decided he could have some after his lunch!  I suppose I should have left it at him not wanting any (more for the rest of us, you know).  I guess another "rookie mistake."  Oh, well, will I never learn?

Today, to cover the article in depth, I'll be going to the ice cream kitchen where they produce all this wonderful ice cream, as well as experiment with new flavors.  My kids have been invited to tag along.  The six-year-old is very willing this time.  The teenager is a little reluctant.  Rookie mistake!

No comments:

Post a Comment