Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What Line?

I'm walking a fine line lately.  One of the books I'm working on has a crime as a subplot.  Now, I'm not a criminal, never have been, and never hope to be.  But I still have to write this authentically.  So, I'm exploring   not only the criminal mind, but I'm researching criminal methods.

It's somewhat interesting to talk to someone about a possible crime and how you might go about committing it.  In this case the someone was my son.  The crime relates to his field and so I needed to pick his brain for the holes that a criminal might exploit.  Now, since it's a novel I can exaggerate those holes and ignore the safeguards that in reality are in place - but I still need authenticity.   I'm exploring all of this while keeping in mind that I don't want to jeopardize my son's livelihood by having him give me proprietary information.

This whole thing is a very enlightening experience.  It's like being an actress really.  The fun roles involve being angry or vindictive or devious, especially if, as a person, you are none of those things.  I am enjoying this research, but it feels a little strange at the same time.  It makes me wonder just where that line is.

No comments:

Post a Comment