Monday, March 18, 2013

Writing Daze

I have days where I am uncertain of my writer's voice, concerned about my ability to pull off what I am attempting.  I am full of self doubt and feelings of inadequacy.  (I'm sure you've never experienced this.)  But I have come to the conclusion that days like this are good.

Why would I say that?  They are not good in the sense that I enjoy them.  But as long as they are not so damaging as to stop me completely, they are good for me.  They make me take a step back and examine what I am doing and how I am doing it.  They send me to my writing books and writer's magazines.  They lead me to ponder and reevaluate the way I am writing and what I am writing.  And I am better for these days.  My writing is better.

And even though I prefer the days when I receive positive feedback about my writing, the down days make those other days possible.  The trick is never quitting, never giving up and sliding back down the mountain.  The solution is found in still climbing, maybe by way of a different path or a different foothold, but climbing all the same, climbing onward . . . and onward . . . and onward . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment