Friday, July 26, 2013

Turning Over a Leaf

Have you thought recently about the phrase "turn over a new leaf?"  If you remember being a child, with all the wonder that a child embodies, you might remember turning over fallen leaves or rocks or logs only to discover a whole new world underneath.  Often bugs of all shapes and colors are exposed, completely hidden from view until the leaf was disturbed.

I just finished writing my novel, Apple of My Eye, including my first major edit.  I'm sure there are many more edits in the future, but for the moment I have set it aside awaiting editorial comments.  That left me free this morning to start my second novel.  I had many different ideas scribbled in notebooks and computer files that left me wondering which one to explore.

I was grateful for my scribbled notes, because the idea that caught my attention the most was one I had forgotten about.  And so early this morning I wrote 1000 words of a novel titled, I am Seven. (I'm sure I'll write more later today - it's calling to me.)  It's really like turning over a leaf and discovering a whole new little world since it is a huge departure from my other novel.  The narrator of this book in a seven-year-old boy.  It is not a young adult book, as you might think.  But it examines our lives and the challenges we face as seen through the eyes of a seven-year-old boy.

Because of that child-like wonder so apparent when turning over a leaf, I'm excited to put life in a whole new perspective.  I hoping my little protagonist takes me on an intriguing adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment