Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Is It Wednesday?

If it's a Wednesday than it must be a blog day.  Although what time of day I actually blog is erratic at best, I at least try to stick with the Monday, Wednesday, Friday format.  (You may not have noticed seeing that's more like a guideline than an actual rule - to borrow from Pirates of the Caribbean.)

I suppose that's kind of like my writing style.  There are authors that swear by the rule of writing so many words every single day or writing for a set amount of time each day.  I think it's like anything you pursue, you have to find what works for you.  

I definitely have to set aside time to write, and then jealously guard that writing time.  But I'm also a wife and a mother and a volunteer and a . . .  So, despite my best efforts to sabotage my writing with all of my other activities, I've managed to complete my novel in six months.  

During the school year my schedule is more solidified, but during the summer with kids home . . . lets just say it's not quite as structured.  I've written in the mornings or late afternoons or, after several busy non-writing days, all day long (with prior notice to all family members).  I've written in the middle of the night when all is quiet and I am left alone with my characters who have missed me.  

Quite honestly I didn't know if my haphazard approach was going to work.  But this is something I really wanted!  I wanted it so much I could taste it.  And somehow or other it has worked.  No one is more surprised than me, but no one is more pleased as well.  I said "worked," but that is a bit of a misnomer.  The work is not actually in the past tense.  There is much more ahead, for instance I don't have a publisher or agent yet.  But that will come too . . . somehow or other.

No comments:

Post a Comment