Monday, December 2, 2013

Gratitude

Thanksgiving was just here and with it came many thoughts of what we are grateful for.  I am certainly thankful for big things like family, but I am also grateful for the little things like playing games and doing puzzles with that family, or "I love you" spoken from my mother to my father.

There are those in this world who are good at being thankful for the small things that occur every day of their lives.  They remind me to stop and pay attention to those things.  We don't always notice the bird's nest in the tree or the baby birds inside.  We may not notice the way the sun reflects off the snow in winter, making everything sparkle.

One of the joys (and challenges) of writing a book is being able to put in those small things we might not notice.  I get to write about the sunset and the sound of birds in the morning.  Setting the scene might include describing tree-lined boulevards and children laughing in backyards.  Stepping into a kitchen can bring with it pleasant aromas and the memories they evoke.

These little things add richness to a book, just like they add richness to our lives.  May we both - writer and not - remember to notice them.

No comments:

Post a Comment