Monday, December 30, 2013

What You Might Least Expect

Over the Christmas holiday a friend of ours asked us to babysit his wife's two poinsettia plants.  My husband's first response was, "Does he know?"  I knew exactly what he was talking about.  Our friend had no idea that we have black thumbs.  We can kill any plant within a half mile radius.  After I had said, "Sure, we'll watch your plants," I explained out lack of skill in that matter.

To his credit as a friend, he still trusted us with his wife's beloved poinsettias.  I'm not sure it was a wise move, and I hope that his wife will eventually forgive him.

Now, amazingly, the plants are still alive and even apparently thriving!  Who knew?  I've even been enjoying their beauty.

I always thought the poinsettia plant was somewhat interesting.  The "flowers" aren't actually blooms; they are just more leaves, but of a different color.  It is and isn't what it appears.

How many things in life are like the beautifully colored poinsettia leaves?  How often does something appear to be one thing while actually another.  But in the end, does it matter that the colorful "flower" is not made from petals, but from leaves?  It may not be what we expect, but the end result is still the same.

Maybe at this time when a year is ending and a new one beginning, we can take the time to look at those around us.  Are the perfect?  Do they do things the way we would like them to?  Probably not.  But are they still beautiful individuals?  Do they have strengths and talents and characteristics that we admire?  Then let us focus on those.  That sounds like a great resolution to me!

So, with that thought, I wish you all a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment