Monday, April 14, 2014

False Endings

I'm sure you've all read those books where things seem to be winding down.  Loose ends are being tied up.  However, there are still sixty pages of the book remaining, and you can't imagine what is left to say.  Then, slam bang, something unexpected happens, and those sixty pages now seem short to resolve everything.  This can be a fun technique, and I admit to using it in my first book.

Now, the point of this blog is comparing writing to real life, finding those common threads and trends.  I'm sorry to say this will be the case with this blog as well.  I have a tooth, a tooth with a story that just refuses to end!

It started with a cavity.  Then it involved a root canal.  My dentist began the root canal but could not complete it.  She found two roots but not the others.  So, I was referred to an endodontist.  The first appointment with her was just a consult.  The second appointment was a bust.  Apparently, despite my initial arrangements, doctor's office and insurance office were not speaking the same language.  I walked away rather than cough up $700 on the spot.  Several weeks later, with assurance that communication had been successfully completed, I went for the actual root canal.  Now this is done at a dental school and they perform root canals in two visits.  After two hours in the chair for part one, I'm beginning to feel like maybe my tooth story is winding down.  Not so!

This weekend that tooth developed an abscess!  Fortunately I have a friend who is a dentist, so I called him.  He said that's what the root canal was supposed to take care of and that maybe they had missed a root.  He prescribed some antibiotics.  After a couple of attempts this morning I reached the dental school and am headed there this afternoon.

When all of this is done, the root canal still needs to be finished, the cavity filled - back at the original dentist, and then probably a crown.  All of this for ONE tooth!

Bottom line is I don't mind when fictional stories go on in unexpected ways, but I'm not a fan in real life!


No comments:

Post a Comment