Monday, April 21, 2014

Woohoo!

I only have one story today.  Less than a week ago I signed a book contract for my first novel, The Apple of My Eye.  I have experienced a myriad of emotions since that moment.  It is exciting, humbling, scary, unbelievable, overwhelming, . . .  Once I received the contract back with all of the signatures, I had to get right to work, because I was also given a fair amount of "homework" to do too.  I am new to this side of writing since this is my debut novel.

In the last few days I have written a synopsis for the back cover, a shorter one (for who knows what), and a bio.  I have recruited help from family to find readers/reviewers, and I have searched for an editor (the publisher provides a final edit as well).  Today I got a haircut, my makeup done, and my picture taken.  I've also been working on ideas for the book cover design and my side of the marketing.

The strangest part of it all is that to do this right I have to promote myself, constantly!  It's definitely outside of my comfort zone, but I keep thinking of what this can mean to my family, and that keeps me grounded.  I don't want to squander this opportunity that God has certainly had a hand in creating for me.  That brings me to a feeling of responsibility, and that is somewhat sobering.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited as a mosquito at a family reunion, and I am very grateful.  But I also want to make sure I don't screw this up!

No comments:

Post a Comment