Friday, April 5, 2013

Some writing jobs are better than others


One thing I've noticed about being a writer is that, by in large, writers support each other.  It's really an amazing thing.  We are somewhat in competition with each other, but I think the view is that there is room for all of us.  I know I would be lost without my writer friends.

So, it is with sympathy that I view the technical writers that work for the IRS.  It all stems from one sentence I discovered in publication 525 about miscellaneous income.  Apparently there are lots of types of income that should be included on the "Other income" line on your 1040.  Publication 525 states, "Bribes. If you receive a bribe, include it in your income."

Really?  On the "Other income" line, it also states, "List type and amount."  So, all of you out there taking bribes, makes sure to list "bribe" and include the amount in your other income!

See why I feel sorry for those technical writers?  Can you imagine that conversation?  "You want me to include WHAT?  Are you serious?!"

I suppose there are times when it's nice to be an anonymous author.


No comments:

Post a Comment