Monday, April 29, 2013

Turning Things On Their Ears

I think one of my favorite things about reading and writing is the turn of a phrase. When we think of turning something on it's ear, we know what that means even if the item being turned doesn't actually have an ear.  But these kinds of images add richness to our language.

Years ago I began a writing a book.  I liked the opening, but when a friend read it she pointed out my trite phrases such as "sizzling bacon."  At the time I thought, "How else can you describe the sound of bacon cooking?"  Anything else, in my mind, sounded second rate.  Thankfully I've learned a little since then.

I enjoy the actual writing of stories, but it is a fun challenge to stop for a moment to consider one sentence, one action even and how it can be described in an unusual way.  For instance, we may think of autumn leaves falling gently down or we could say they waltz with the wind, being safely deposited on a soft seat of grass when the music stops.  Or we could describe that leaf as an animal of some kind, such as: the leaf, crouched like a waiting tiger, watches for the perfect moment to leap from its perch to the waiting grass prey below.  Or what if the leaf falls during a rainstorm?  Then it could become a soldier being pelted with rainy shrapnel, finally dying, face down in the mud.

The possibilities are endless, and so much fun to think of.  If you have a favorite leaf metaphor or image, please share.


No comments:

Post a Comment