Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Curling Up With A Good Book

Finding Forrester is one of my favorite movies.  One of the main characters, William Forrester, is an author.  He states, "Writers write so readers can read."  That is a delightfully simplistic view of writing, but it is also true.

I am enjoying the early responses of those reading my book drafts.  I look for feedback both positive and negative, so that I can change what needs to be changed and keep what should stay.  I am curious about my plot twists.  Did I telegraph them too much?  Did they surprise and delight?  Is the book readable; in other words, do my readers want to keep reading?

I also love being on the other side.  I love getting lost in a good book.  In the last two days, my six-year-old has discovered that same love.  Granted, he has in the past quickly read books, enjoying the tales, but this time is different.  He picked up a book that is longer than he usually reads, and he is devouring every word!

Last night this son sat in a chair for an hour, completely absorbed and lost in his book.  When he got dressed for school this morning his book sat beside him, open, so he could snack on a few more words.  He talks about the book and he makes suppositions about how long it will take him to read it. He's thinking a couple of weeks, but in reality at his current pace he will finish it in two days.  I'm sure they will be two wonderful days, because it is a great feeling - getting lost in a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment