Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Writing Perks

Can I just say I love my job?  I'm writing a magazine article about a bakery in our town.  They are a regional bakery, providing products to our state and three other surrounding states.  Along with their own bread labels, local grocery stores and even national brands contract with them to make their bread.

I got to tag along on a tour today (with a group of first graders) to see the operation.  It's quite fascinating.  Conveyor belts are EVERYWHERE!  They are like model trains circling overhead and beside you and in circular carousels.  Bread products move from machine to machine on conveyor belts, but they also need to cool once they are baked before they can be sliced, if needed, and bagged.  They travel all around the plant for an hour just so they can cool.

Now, here's the best part.  When the tour is done everyone gets a freshly baked (just this morning) loaf of Cinnabon bread!  YUM!

While not every article I have done relates to food - far from it, I have enjoyed those that have.  There was the restaurant review where I was given samples of probably a dozen dishes and, of course, the ice cream store where I just had to sample probably a dozen different flavors.  I believe I have "lamented" these articles before, but the power of the pen on the author's side of things continues to amaze me.  I really do love this job.


No comments:

Post a Comment