Monday, May 13, 2013

Post Mother's Day

Mother's Day was yesterday, if you hadn't noticed.  I don't know about you, but my mother taught me a lot of things.  Some of them good common sense, some of them quite profound.  I talked to my mother yesterday, as well as my kids.  My kids said some nice things to me.  All of it makes one stop and think.  

It makes me stop and think about the advice I give to my kids.  Do I live it?  Do I do my homework first and play later?  Do I eat more good food than sweets?  Do I finish what I start?  Do I know that even though I may not want to do something (like a homework assignment or piano practicing) I just have to do it anyway?

I suppose I do okay with most of those things, most of the time.  However, there are days . . . like Friday, when I couldn't think of what to blog about, so I didn't.  That's not the approach I would have suggested to my children.

Am I more likely to mimic the expectations I have for my kids when I know they are watching?  The answer is yes.  But the real character of a person is what they do when no one is watching.  Hmmm.  It does give one pause to think, at least if you are being honest with yourself.  So, if nothing else, I blogged today, even though most of my kids don't read it.


2 comments: