Friday, May 24, 2013

1st grade story writing

Once a week I help out in my first grader's classroom.  I enjoy getting to know the kids and learning what they capable of.  This week I was helping with some year end writing assessments.  First grade has sure come a long way.

The kids were given a prompt and told to write a story.  They had a page for their pre-writing where they could list their characters, the setting, the problem their characters faced and then how that problem was resolved.

The first time I remember any story writing in school was fifth grade.  Those of us that were interested in writing short stories met in the library after school to learn more about it.  I don't even remember learning anything specific from that time.  I'm pretty certain that we didn't learn in fifth grade then what first graders are taught now.

This is just one area where I've observed when we don't put limits on our kids they are capable of amazing things.  It is fun to read my son's and his classmates' stories.  I am at times jealous of the education they are getting and what I didn't, but mostly I just think it's pretty impressive what our kids can do and who they are becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment