Monday, April 22, 2013

We are stubborn creatures . . .

Thursday it was 80 degrees where I live.  In the morning, before school, my six-year-old and I went through his shorts from last year, looking for a pair that fit.  He wore those shorts with great joy and gusto throughout the day.  It was a beautiful day.  It was also fleeting.

Saturday morning I was doing some writing, seated near a window.  When I thought I heard rain I opened the curtains to be greeted by SNOW!  It snowed steadily for ten minutes or so.  I know this happens in Spring, but still, it felt like a low blow.

However, a short time later, I found myself on my way to Home Depot.  I was looking for a few gardening tools.  It seemed strange given the snow, but I knew the weather would change and I wanted to be ready when it did.

You would think that the snow would be a deterrent to most, but not so.  When I arrived at Home Depot I was greeted by a full parking lot.  Apparently we are stubborn creatures.  Snow will not stop us from making plans and working towards fulfilling those plans.

I think when we read novels we take the same approach.  As long as we have hope that a novel will    fulfill some kind of expectation, be that tying up lose ends or ending on a positive note, we are willing to slog through the times when a character disappoints us or deals with struggles.

And once we learn that we can trust an author, just as we have learned to trust the spring, we will give him or her a little more leeway.  I hope, in the future, that I can earn that trust.


No comments:

Post a Comment