Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Hidden Sounds

My title may seem a little oxymoronic; things we see are hidden, not usually things we hear.  But bear with me for a few minutes and allow me to be literary instead of literal.

I was walking my son to school this morning, something I haven't done since last spring.  Usually we are greeted along the way by various animals - squirrels, dogs, and a huge variety of birds.  We saw none!  They were conspicuous by their absence.  However, before long we could make out the songs of various birds.  Even with that we still could not locate them with our eyes, but we were certain they were there.

A good novel will let us "hear" many things before we actually get to see them, just little hints and bread crumbs along the way, taunting us, teasing us, keeping us intrigued.  And eventually, we will see what we only believed to be there.

My return home after successfully depositing my child turned out to be different.  Before long I heard the call of a blue jay followed shortly by his actual appearance in my line of sight.  This was followed by my view of several small birds clutching a wire overhead.  My favorite though was the bush I passed that upon closer inspection was housing several small birds neatly tucked inside.

I had been teased and taunted, yes.  But in the end I was rewarded.


No comments:

Post a Comment