Monday, August 5, 2013

So Much Below the Surface

I have to admit I have the best job!  This morning I interviewed our city's fire chief for an article on the fire department.  It was so interesting!  How often do you get to visit with an official or business executive of your choosing for an hour and ask them anything you can think of?  All you have to do is rub the magic lamp of "I'd like to write an article about your company," and you're good to go.

Only one of these types of interviews left me frustrated.  In that case the statistics he gave me were incorrect and I wasn't able to glean much information about how their business does what they do for fear of industrial espionage.

But other than that one, they have been absolute fascinating.  I have learned so much more than I could possible include in an article.  I hear some of the best stories along the way as well.  Sometimes (as I mentioned in an earlier blog) I have to sample the product, such as the ice cream when doing a story on Mitchell's Ice Cream stores.

You may think you have a great job, but I don't know about that.  Unless, of course, you're a writer too.

No comments:

Post a Comment