Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Is it that time already?

So many emotions exist these days around our house - and for those not accustomed to showing lots of emotions.  It's back-to-school time.  Doesn't that explain a lot?

It starts with the disappointed, "Oh, no!  Summer's not over yet, is it?"  But this competes with the feeling of excitement.  "Who's my new teacher or teachers?", "I can't wait to see my friends?", "Which new shirt will I wear the first day?"

I'm not sure which emotion is winning. Attempting to get everyone back in an up-early-in-the-morning routine this week is probably swaying them towards disappointment.  But there still is the undeniable (although they are trying hard to "deny" it!) sense of anticipation, an eagerness to push forward.

Conflicting emotions are present on my end as well.  I love having my kids home for the summer.  I love letting them sleep in, seeing them walk out of their rooms fully rested and happy.  I love playing lazy games in the afternoons and going places in the car together.

But . . . I do like the learning that goes on, the acquisition on new knowledge and skills, the budding maturity and self-assurance, the interactions with a wide variety of other kids.  I'm also looking forward to getting my writing time back, to have the routine of writing every day, to seeing real progress.  And now that I'm working through a major rewrite of the first draft of my novel, with the intent that the second draft is being sent off to agents and publishers, I'm impatient to have more time with it.

But when all is said and done, I'll be a little sad next week when my kids go out the door to spend most of their waking others somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment