Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Careful Writing

I started writing a very different blog today - related to the hickory tree in my front yard and the massive amount of hickory nut casings all over my yard.  In the process I stopped to look up hickory nuts to see if they are edible.

What I read caused me to shift the focus of my blog.  It highlighted the importance of editing our writing.

I came across an article that stated there are 17 different species of hickory trees.  It then walked me step-by-step through a process to identify which one I might be dealing with.  All of this centered around the nut - size, appearance, etc.

That was all fine and good until I came to step 4.  It stated:

"Taste the nut meat. Several hickory species yield a sweet, edible meat, while others yield bitter meat that one should not eat."

Do you see a problem here?  Need I say more?




No comments:

Post a Comment