Monday, September 2, 2013

Lazy Days

Today is Labor Day.  In a way that is a misnomer because most of us choose not to "labor" on this day.  My kids are out of school and letting it be one of those days with no purpose.  I suppose I am treating it the same way.  You just need days like that every once in a while.  So, excuse me, but this blog will be brief - although not completely without point.

In the process of editing my book, my daughter pointed out that my dialogue only contained necessary information, not just the normal conversations that we have every day.  While she was not encouraging me to add a lot of inane dialog, she was suggesting I make the conversations that I already had more natural by adding some simple banter.  In other words, to make my book better, to add more flow, some of what is said and done needs to have no point to it.  This is also important since there is an element of mystery in my novel.  I was giving away the farm by only including relevant information.  It will certainly maintain more of that mystery, and be more realistic, if there is more distraction and misdirection and yes, more things that don't have a point.

Who knew a lazy day by being pointless could actually have a point to it?



No comments:

Post a Comment