Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A New Day

I am a temporary empty nester.  Yes, I still have children at home, but I just sent a short story off to a contest.  Almost like another daughter, I gave birth to this story.  I groomed her and refined her; I watched her grow.  She has touched my soul.  And while she is still a part of me, somehow, for her to live fully, she needs to leave my hands just like my flesh and blood son who recently left for college.

It is a happy and sad feeling all in one.  I am excited for her future prospects, even if they are uncertain.  And, I am sad she is no longer mine alone to treasure, to mold, to hold close.

Of course this is temporary, other stories will come and other stories will go.  But she will never lose her spot in my heart, my love will not diminish with time, only deepen.

I don't know if you understand what I mean, or sense what I feel.  Maybe you think I'm just a little touched.  But that's okay.  Especially if you eventually read my story and fall in love, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment