Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Unraveling the Mystery

Being a writer can take on many forms.  While I am currently finishing my first book, I am also writing short stories and magazine articles.  My latest magazine article took an unexpected twist last night.  I am writing about a community service group for a local magazine, and to that end interviewed the two co-presidents last evening.  Wanting to include their history in my article, I inquired about the club's beginnings.

It appears that no one knows how or when it got started!  It's clearly been around 38 years, since the lunch with Santa program this month has been going that long.  But what is the actual story?  The co-presidents left my interview, heading straight to a board meeting of the club, promising to see what they could learn.  Looking through the past president's notebooks apparently yielded no new insights.

Today I spoke with another member and former president of the club who thought they were originally part of a different club, maybe a woman's club, and split off to allow themselves more and better ways to serve the community.  But being unsure, she referred me to another member.  That member thought it was the offshoot of a men's club, but again, could not be certain.  She referred me to a past president.  I will be making that phone call soon.

I never thought a magazine article would lead to being a faux investigative reporter!  It reminds me of mysteries and the secrets people hold.  I don't think this secret, if I'm able to track it down, will produce much drama or any accusations.  However, it can be surprising where mysteries and secrets do arise.  Hmmm . . . I think I'll tuck that tidbit away.



No comments:

Post a Comment