Monday, November 19, 2012

Perspective

I had every intention of writing a different blog today.  I really did.  But when I arrived at the library this morning, "my" chair was askew, 90 degrees askew and swapped with the table!  Those of you who have been following my blog will remember the day "my" chair was taken by another.  Oh, the horrors!

My first thought was to right everything.  Given the cramped space, this would not be an easy task.  "Why not try it this way?"  crossed my mind, "It will provide a different perspective."

And so it has.  I now face nothing but windows, a fuller view of the outside than ever before.  It is a bright, inviting, crisp morning.  The direct sun is blocked by an outside column, yet it cannot be contained.  It spills out on either side.  It is encouraging, yet taunting.  I like this new perspective.

My thoughts have been diverted as well.  My back is now to the rest of the library.  One might approach me unawares, peek over my shoulder, invade my space and shake me from my reverie, no doubt frighten me.  It is an uncomfortable feeling.  Maybe I can better empathize and care about my characters, made victims by my pen.  Will I write them more realistically?  Will I identify with them?

Will I give myself nightmares?  I suppose, in an odd way, that if I do, I am succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment