Monday, November 12, 2012

"Opinion" Piece

While recently completing a crossword puzzle I was interested by the clue leading to "blog."  It used the word "opinion" as part of the definition.  I must say I've always thought of blogs as personal online journals or topic based collections (think cooking or writing, for instance).  But "opinion" was not what came to mind.

When I think of opinions I think of letters to the editor or heated discussion, even arguments.  But when someone writes their thoughts, surely those are opinions, are they not?

That thought naturally leads to the conclusion that what I do - write - is very much founded on opinion.  This is not like math (i.e. 2+2=4 and always will).  Something very different is at work here.  What about a non-fiction book?  Isn't it still compiled and written according to the writers viewpoint and tastes?  This must be so or you wouldn't have different biographies of Lincoln, for example.  Only one would be needed, as it would have exactly the same information and conclusions of any other.  What a boring existence to not have opinions!

And since there are opinions in the way writers write, there are also opinions in the way readers read.  I have published articles in magazines.  Obviously an editor liked them enough to pay me money and then print them.  But has everyone had the same opinion?  I highly doubt it.  I am currently writing a book, a loose memoir, if you will, about mothering.  Generally my feedback has been positive, but there are those who do not care for my writing.

What to do with such opinions?  I imagine if the reviews are universally bad, one should take a hint!  And one can learn from criticism.  But what is your overall opinion of your own writing?  One must find the positives and push those through.  Find the publisher who likes your book, or rewrite the weak parts without discarding the whole manuscript.  Even J. K. Rowling's very popular and successful Harry Potter was rejected by twelve publishers before it found its audience.  (And now "Rowling" is so well known her name does not show up as a misspelled word!)

I may never aspire to write great literature, but I am writing stories that I like to read, and hopefully others will like to read as well.  And since not everyone thinks like me, I expect to have my detractors.  That is the nature of this game.

And that is my opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment