Thursday, November 15, 2012

Moving On (short story part 3)

How do you move on, shift from one focus to another?  Is it easy or challenging?  I suppose it depends on what you're changing from and going to.  When my children transition from school to summer vacation, easy doesn't begin to describe it!  Not so of the reverse.  In the late summer, moving from relative ease and freedom, sleeping in until Mom insists you get up and "do something" to alarm clocks, quick showers, running to catch school buses and that dreaded homework - now that's hard!

What about a change of scenery - a new job, a move, or even literally a change of season?  Some of these we welcome, but they still require adjustment on our part: making new friends, finding new doctors, pulling a sweater out of a box.  I have finished bringing life to my short story characters.  Their tale is told as much as a short story (or I) will allow.  And so, other than edits and revisions, they are gone.  They are finished.

Can I leave them so easily, now that they have become my friends?  I must, there are others waiting.  And yet, I wonder how they are faring now?  How is life treating them?  I think I'll send them a Christmas card.

No comments:

Post a Comment